Dewalt DW717 DB Miter Saw Review
The DW717 (and brother version DWS716XPS) performs like a champ; it is the mid-grade miter saw from Dewalt. There are more expensive DB miter saws on the market but for almost everyone, this is great.
The Tool Space may receive compensation through eligible purchases from our links. We are independently owned and purchase all the materials we review. We test every product and rate them based off performance/value. Thanks for valuing our content and reviews.
Available on Amazon
What We Like
- Versatile for all angles and cuts.
- Heavy but still portable.
- 4,000 RPMs for clean cuts.
- Dewalt warranty of 3yr/ 1yr/ 90 days.
What We Don't Like
- More expensive that some other brands.
I set up the saw on a Gladiator 2-door work cabinet and cut through a few 2x4s and a couple 1×6 white board that I had sitting in the shop; and the DW717 cut cleanly and effortlessly. The Dewalt carbide blade that was included is very nice and I might start buying more of their blades for my other saws. As expected with Big Yellow, the saw is sturdy and well-fitted.
- 15 amp motor
- No load speed of 4,000 RPM
- Cam lock miter handle
- Bevels 0-48 degrees for increased cut capacity
- Horizontal handle for control and comfort
- 12 in cross cut capacity at 45- degree angle for best in class capacity
- 51 lbs – heavy but manageable
- Horizontal capacity – 14 inches
- Miter capacity – left: 60 degrees, right: 52 degrees
The DW717 ( and DWS716XPS) are very capable and powerful. I will be holding on to the DW717 and have already completed a few moulding projects and a board and batten accent wall. Like almost any saw with good cut capacity and strong specs (rpms/amps), it cuts cleanly and efficiently. Unlike other saws, it slides and manipulates with sturdy ease. If this saw is set to 45 degrees, it cuts at 45 degrees; this might sound like a stupid comment but it does what it needs to do. If you want accurate fits on your joints, you have to buy a saw that is “angle” reliable; this one is. Keep a good blade on the DW717 (or DWS716XPS) and use this saw for years to come. Recommended for all Tool Space users.
Tool Space Recommendation
We recommend this tool to the following skill levels.